Thursday, June 3, 2010

Hypnobirthing: Reducing Labor Rage at a Birth Near You (this statement has not been evaluated by the FDA)



My sister Grace sent me a blogpost today that talked about hypnobirthing, so I thought I'd take a minute and reflect on my own experience.





 Like most people, I didn't understand the concept of hypnobirthing AT ALL when I heard about it. Don't you do crazy things like punch yourself in the face while under hypnosis? Is chanting and a ticking stopwatch involved? Will the hypnotherapist feel you you up while you're off in la-la land? Would my eyes have red peppermint swirls in place of pupils, like in Tom & Jerry? If I had a hypnobirth in the water, would I drown? 





Well, I heard rave reviews from those who had used the techniques, so I decided to give it a good ol' country whirl.






After all, I had an awful (and I do mean AWFUL) first birthing experience: 27 hours of labor, induction, medication-- even with an epidural it was the worst pain of my life. And not a smidgen of maternal bliss did I feel when my baby was placed in my arms. I felt only relief, and I believe I actually uttered the words, "I will never, ever do that again as long as I live, so help me God."

As for the sentiment: "As soon as you hold your baby, all the pain goes away..." PUH-LEEZE. I looked down at my dear son with an angry red stripe on his forehead where he'd been stuck in the birth canal for hours upon hours, lifted the blanket to ogle his sweet perfection, and discovered he'd already crapped black slimy goo all over me. Love at first sight, it was not.




So with the second one (yes, after 2 years the trauma faded sufficiently to take the leap again) I saw a certified hypnotherapist and we made a digital recording of the visualization/relaxation techniques. I had hypnotherapy training on a weekly basis and practiced the relaxation every day for the eight weeks before birth. I also used the Hypnobirthing CD's and affirmations by Marie Mongan in the evenings before I went to bed.






There's really no magic or voo-doo in hypnotherapy, contrary to what you might have seen on reality TV. My hypnotherapist and I talked about a visualization that I felt was very relaxing. I laid down on a {very comfy} couch and closed my eyes. I practiced deep, calm breathing and Sonya began to speak the visualization we'd created, starting with a countdown. After about 20 minutes she calmly brought me out of the state of relaxation with a simple count. Over the course of time, my brain learned to go into an almost instant state of deep relaxation as soon as I heard Sonya's voice.

Well, people, there's a reason childbirth is called "labor," and it is definitely WORK. No grinning stork hand-delivering a smiling, well-polished infant.  The real work for me was keeping the manic freak-out tendencies from sending me into an abyss of abject terror.  When labor began around 9pm, I was able to sleep through the night with the hypnotherapy recording right by my head. As soon as I heard Sonya's voice, I'd drift off to sleep. When it stopped, I'd wake up and play it again.

When the contractions got to 2-3 minutes apart, it was already 9 in the morning.  We arrived at the birth center and I was dilated 8cm. I'd labored all that time on my own at home-- what a gift! Natalia was born at 1:30pm and we were discharged from the birth center by 6. On the way home we grabbed a pizza and champagne, and I was able to sleep in my own bed that night.



The most critical thing I learned from hypnotherapy is to work with my body and not resist the pain. I mean, pushing an 8 lb. baby through a 10-centimeter space is  "hard labor," and its happening whether I like it or not. I was able to remain presenced and trust the process. It wasn't pain-free, but the pain was dulled-- it didn't have the same edge as the first time.


Being able to compare a medicated birth and a natural birth, I'd say the hypnobirth was far better in every respect than the medicated birth-- even with an epidural.



Having said that, there are many factors that go into an excellent birth experience. For starters, it was my second go-round. I'd had the experience of an airy-fairy birth plan that went down in flames when things got tough. This time I knew what was coming and my "Labor & Delivery Toolbox" was well-stocked. (We did Bradley the first time, and Hypnotherapy just layered neatly on top of that information.)

Second, I was able to have my daughter at a free-standing birth center. (The Women's Birth & Wellness Center ROCKS.) 

Third, I was able to labor and deliver her in the water. (Water birth ROCKS.) 

Fourth, I had the hypnobirth CD in the background and candles lit (Ambience ROCKS). 

Finally, I had an AMAZING birth team-- my partner (in the tub with me) my sister (an incredible coach) and my yoga/Shaklee  "sister" doing Thai massage, essential oil aromatherapy, and feeding me protein and hydration shakes all the while. (My significant other is pretty sure she was casting spells, but it worked so I didn't give a damn). Sergio, Chelsea and Amber all ROCK!



Once my daughter was out, I remember only euphoria-- an incredible, primal, female force of nature-- I could have gone out and climbed Mt. Everest. That is the most priceless experience I took away from natural childbirth. I don't remember the second birth and think about pain. I still get chills when I ponder the power and beauty and the sacred task that my body accomplished. 





In short-- I recommend hypnobirthing to everyone. There are so many styles and flavors out there, you're sure to find someone as clinical, professional, fruity or crunchy as you want. I think fewer women would be so terrified of childbirth if they were prepared with hypnotherapy.

AND I still use a lot of the relaxation and breathing techniques in my daily life-- after all, I've got two young children, a business, full-time homemaking responsibilities, I lead a holistic moms group and pinch-hit in my hunny's business too. If I didn't have hypnotherapy training I'd probably be punching myself in the face anyway.



Sonya Montgomery is a Nurse Practitioner & Certified Hypnotherapist at NC Neuropsychiatry in Chapel Hill, NC.


The Womens Birth and Wellness Center in Chapel Hill, NC, is the only free-standing birth center in the state. 


Marie Mongan founded The Hypnobirth Institute and authored the book Hypnobirthing: The Mongan Method. A natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing.

No comments:

Post a Comment