Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh Happy Day, Earth!

 I am thrilled to see how mainstream Earth Day has become in the last few years. I imagine some of the first Earth Day events and their dedication and passion to take on such an enormous topic 40 years ago. (These are a few photos I found of the first Earth Day, courtesy of National Geographic.)






How proud am I that my company's flagship green cleaner was one of the first official Earth Day product way back in 1970! Dr. Forrest C. Shaklee was a man ahead of his time. His philosophy was that since we take from Nature to support our health, we should always give back to Nature in equal or greater measure.


We had our own adventures this weekend at the Durham Earth Day Festival. Our green cleaning table ended up being on the back end of nowhere down a street where no one was walking. We were jumping around trying to flag people down.Yes, those of us participating got grumpy and irritated with our lack of success. I asked the organizers if we could move our table, and was told no.

Grrrr. What to do? We'd paid a tidy little sum to have our space at Earth Day. I texted my coach and mentor, who wasn't the least bit sympathetic. Her advice? Something I'll never forget:

"Ok, so it's not working. Leadership, baby! Shift your circumstances to match your vision. Period."

Well, alright then. Ask forgiveness, not permission. I was chasing down my 4-year old when my teammates picked that table right up and plopped it down on a street corner where there was much more foot traffic. And we generated twice as many leads in that last hour as we had in the previous three.



Sure, we were there to grow our businesses. But more importantly,  we were there to get the word out about what a privilege it is to preserve our beautiful planet and protect our families by shifting our buying power and  purchasing safe, non-toxic, all natural cleaners.
Happy Earth Day....every day!

Earth Day photos: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/04/photogalleries/first-earth-day-1970-pictures/#teach-in-office_4471_600x450.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment